World Youth Day 2016
A Pilgrimage of Mercy
Holy Cross is thrilled to be participating in World Youth Day 2016 in Krakow, Poland with Pope Francis! Joining students from all over the world, we will have the opportunity to serve together in Poland, tour Auschwitz, and be a part of the world’s largest pilgrimage of youth.
Our travelers departed Monday morning after a prayer with Msgr. Yeazel and Deacon Matt Lyons. Please pray for our young friends as they embark on this exciting adventure. Deacon Nathan Gunn and his wife Tammy are leading the trip of our 13 "pilgrims". First stop is in a poor village in Northern Poland to serve alongside Polish kids from the Diocese and Young Life kids from around USA and Europe. After a week of service, they will visit Auschwitz and settle into Krakow where they will be poured into by Bishops and Pope Francis.
What is World Youth Day?
- Created by John Paul II as a worldwide celebration of youth, Christ, and the young Church.
- All young people of the world are invited, not just Catholics
- First WYD celebrated in Rome in 1985. Last one was in Rio in 2013.
- JPII’s vision for WYD:
- To provide “An encounter with Jesus Christ, His Spirit and His Church.”
- An experience of the power of the Holy Spirit to strengthen the faith of our young people
- A moving and sanctifying pilgrimage in faith
- Rediscover the centrality of the Word and Sacrament
- Enable pilgrims to be witnesses to Christ
This Year’s Theme: Mercy
To donate to our Youth Ministry and their efforts to attend WYD 2016, please click here and enter the amount you would like to give in the "Youth Ministry" category with the note: "WYD"
WYD Trip Itinerary
- July 18th (Mon) - Depart US from JFK, 5:30pm on Air Berlin
- July 19th (Tues) - Arrive in Berlin, introduction, connect with YL Germany
- July 20th (Wed) – Bus to Posnan (4-5 hrs), meet YL Poland, dinner and Club 1
- July 21st (Thur) - Service experience + Club 2
- July 22nd (Fri) - Service experience + Club 3
- July 23rd (Sat) – Service experience + Club 4
- July 24th (Sun) – local tour, nice dinner, Mass at Dominican
- July 25th (Mon) – Bus to Auschwitz (6 hrs), arrive by 3pm
- July 26th (Tue) – 90 min bus to Krakow, Opening Mass WYD
- July 27th (Wed) - WYD
- July 28th (Thu) - WYD
- July 29th (Fri) - WYD
- July 30th (Sat) - WYD
- July 31st (Sun) - Close of WYD, back to hotel for shower, dinner, and sleep.
- Aug 1st (Mon) – Depart Krakow 4am, bus to Berlin, 1pm departure, arrive JFK 3:40pm